Saturday 4 April 2009

Changes have been made to this post in the spirit of peace and love! Long live the Freebird!

Today is the first day I have walked too and from work, risking life and limb trying to navigate the roads. I'm pretty pleased to report that it was uneventful in terms of major injuries or high excitement mishaps. I did see a stray dog almost get squished.

On Friday I went to the second birthday party of SE Asia Globe magazine. With free food (full scale western BBQ) and free booze in a funky little hotel garden, it was a great way to end a great week. I think I met most of Phnom Penh's movers and shakers. And they met me, which I am sure they are writing about on their blogs right now.

As I write I am sat in one of Phnom Penh's squillions of expat bars. This one is the Freebird. There's a sign on the wall saying "Explosives, when used properly can be a wonderful source of entertainment". I can believe it. I'm here to have the Freebird burger - half a pound of minced beef with bacon and "elemental" cheese. There's only so much rice one can eat, my dear Watson.

Today I got verbal agreement from a client on my first deal at work.The first of many to come, I am sure. The GM did the half joke / half serious "Why don't you stay on here for a year or so...". I'm flattered, but... no...

My love/hate relationship with Phnom Penh continues... right now I love it. Yesterday I hated it... (though was cheered u by the purchase of DVDs of every Royle Family episode ever, every Fawlty Towers episode ever and seven films for $27, about £18). "What did you see when you were in Cambodia, Ed?", "Oh, everything, the Royle Family, Fawlty Towers..."

Thanks for bearing with my stream of consciousness.

1 comment:

  1. We had those towels in Japan too- and I had forgotten how foul it is to have a stinky one. Spoils the day. Eugh. xxxx

    ReplyDelete