Monday 23 March 2009

Spiders for dinner

MORE PHOTOS HERE (From my friend's blog)






































It's 9:30 on Sunday morning and I'm sat on the balcony just having finished a big bowl of noodles and tofu for breakfast. It's really hot already.

Yesterday I went out for a really long walk around Phnom Penh and then in the late afternoon I met with about 15 people from work and we hired a a boat to cruise around the Tonle Sap, Meekong and what ever the other two rivers are caled that converge in Phnom Penh. The Cambodian contingent were asked to bring the snacks. Imagine our delight as they produced whole deep fried finches (I think), silkworms and tarantulas!!! I munched a tarantula's foot (that's a sentence I never thought I would write!). Actually, I'm not sure that they really have feet as such. Maybe an ankle. Or hoof? It tasted pretty much like barbequed salmon skin. The taste itself really is not a problem, it's just the psychological aspect (even James Bond is scared of tarantulas). I was told by my friend that with the silkworms the problem is not just psychological - they really do taste awful. The boat trip descended into a bizaree Kareoke, freak-dance-off. With everyone making proper idiots of themselves. In a good way.

3 comments:

  1. Ewwww! I thought what finches might be, considered googling it and decided not to - must something equally "tasty"!
    Good on ya that you're keeping the hosts happy by eating their food though - keeps those AK47 away from driving by your hotel room! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan! It's great to hear from you. Finches aren't too scary - just little birds. But whole (heads, feet, etc) deep fried birds still aren't my idea of a tasty meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids liked the photos but puzzled by the size of the spiders- reckoned that our uk spiders wouldn't be so tasty. You'll have to let us know when you get back.

    ReplyDelete