Monday 23 February 2009

Traffic

The traffic in Phnom Penh is truly crazy. Most people travel by Moto (moped), as I previously mentioned. Motos are not limited to just their drivers. I have seen whole families of five, Buddhist monks, a fridge (+driver and passenger!), and a helmetless toddler slouched asleep across the handlebars as his father negotiates the traffic. The “back seat” of a moto can be hired for $1-2 per journey within town. I have quickly learned that tuk tuk (a small carriage pulled by a moto) is a safer and more comfortable way to travel, though slightly more expensive at $2-3 per journey. The rules of the road are very simple : there are no rules. Well, perhaps one. If I am bigger than you it’s my right of way. If you are bigger then me, it’s your right of way. I have only seen 2 or 3 sets of lights, otherwise there are no road markings and no “give way” signs or lines. It’s not uncommon to see cars and bikes traveling on the wrong side of the road. Remarkably (pretty much) everyone seems to avoid each other. As a pedestrian, negotiating these roads can be a hair-raising experience. With the crazy roads and the dirt and dust walking is not the most pleasant way to get around. Finding at tuk tuk is never a problem though, with drivers offering their services about every 15 seconds…

No comments:

Post a Comment